We’ve been doing some research to find out what makes a good fly spray and we came upon an article from the University of Kentucky’s College of Agriculture that talks about what most fly sprays or insect repellents are made up of.
Most fly sprays are made up of one of three components:
Both Cypermethrin and Permethrin are synthetic forms of Pyrethrins making them more stable and less likely to break down, which means the product should last longer. Each synthetic form has Pyrethrins added to aid in repelling.
Pyrethrins have Piperonyl Butoxide added to increase the activity of the Pyrethrins making them more effect than their synthetic counterparts. Since Pyrethrins are not as stable they will not work near as long, meaning your horse will need more applications throughout the day.
Here is a list of fly sprays that we carry:
(Products marked with an * are concentrates that are diluted before use.)
· Endure Sweat-Resistant Fly Spray for Horses (0.15%) +0.20% pyrethrins
· Tri-tec 14 Spray (0.15%) + 0.20% pyrethrins
· Bronco Equine Fly Spray (0.10%) + 0.05% pyrethrins
· Repel-X (0.10%) + 0.05% pyrethrins
· Bug Block (0.20%) + 0.10% pyrethrins
· Mosquito Halt Repellent Spray for Horses (0.20%) +0.13% Prallethrin
· UltraShield (0.40%) + 0.10% pyrethins
Pyrethrins + piperonyl butoxide
· Equisect Fly Repellent (0.10%)
· Pyranha Wipe n’Spray for Horses (0.10%)
· Pyranha Aerosal (0.30%)
· Endure Sweat-Resistant Fly Spray for Horses (0.20%)
· Wipe Original Fly Protectant (0.20%)
· *Repel-X Concentrate (0.40%)
All Natural Repellents
· Stay Away Fly & Bug Repellent (Oils)
· Clac Deo-Lotion Fly Repellent (Oils)
· Liquid Net All Naturall Insect Repellent
All that to say that your situation will probably decide which kind of fly spray you’ll want to use. Your synthetic sprays (Cypermethrin & Permethrin) will be good for horses that will be outside all day and your Pyrethrins will be good right before working your horse or going into a class at a show.
If you’d like to read the whole article from the University of Kentucky College of Agriculture and get some home recipes for fly spray visit our website.